Friday, July 25, 2008

Anatomy of a swap

As I mentioned before I am doing a few different designs for upcoming convention swap. I wanted to use "window dressing" a level 3 hostess set in upcoming catalog. I had some problems coming up with a swap design I liked.

attempt # 1:



Problem #1- did not have a current snowflake stamp (not retired) to use for background. This one was too plain, I did add some photo corners using some designer paper.




This is my second attempt- decided to use polka dot background stamp, and was somewhat happier with the color scheme.

Tough to see from scan, but I used dazzling diamonds around window edge to give look of snow/ice.


This is my final outcome and I was much happier with it. I used canvas background and the gingham print of new bella rose dsp for my photo corners. I really liked the country look to it.
My other problems were:
1) not having designer paper but using the photo corners helped.
2) trying to find ribbon, tried white grosgrain but went without it in my final design
3) trying to do a layout with a sketch. So much easier in planning a card to have a sketch.
4) working with new in colors, not having a color scheme. Thankfully, I used kraft a good neutral to go with riding hood red.
I have two more swaps to post before I go to convention. Enjoy your weekend :}

4 comments:

Marge said...

They're all cute Kathy, but I actually really like the 2nd one myself! It's definitely hard when you can only use certain products. Often that's my biggest issue with coming up with a final creation I truly love.

Unknown said...

These cards are great!!! I really like #2 but #3 is my fav!!!!! I would definitly want to swap with you!!!!

I would love to meet you in person but without knowing what you look like I don't know who to look for?? Do you have a current pic of yourself you could link me to so I can look for you at convention? We leave in 2 days and I am getting soooo excited!!!

Marilyn Goodrich said...

I like them all, but agree that #3 is perfect! Love the country feel to it and don't think it needs any ribbon. Beautiful swap card!

Deb said...

OOOOOH Kathy, I love them all! I don't think I swapped with you because I certainly would have remembered getting one of these. I will check again though.